BBB Tip: Shop safe and shop smart this holiday season
Milwaukee, – The 2022 holiday shopping season promises to be an unpredictable one. High inflation rates and increased prices of consumer goods are already throwing a wrench into holiday shopping. Electronics, toys, and other products will be (or already are) in short supply, and retailers are struggling to staff up as the shopping season nears.
Just like in 2021, people are planning to start their holiday shopping early. Watch out for deals well before Black Friday sales. Retailers are also expecting to see even more people shopping online.
Product shortages and increased online shopping are likely to result in even more online purchase scams this year. These scams accounted for nearly 40% of all scams reported to BBB Scam Tracker in 2021, according to the 2021 BBB Scam Tracker Risk Report. Shortages are likely to make purchase scams even more common as desperate shoppers turn to shady websites in hopes of finding this year’s must-have gift.
BBB recommends the following tips to “Shop Safe, Shop Smart” this holiday season:
• Research before you buy. Use BBB.org and shopper reviews to do your homework before paying. Also, read our tips for spotting phony reviews.
• If the deal looks too good to be true, it probably is. The top motivating factor for people who made a purchase and lost money was the price. Don’t shop on price alone.
• Make sure the website is secure. Look for the “HTTPS” in the URL (the extra s is for “secure”) and a small lock icon on the address bar. Never enter payment or personal information into a website with only “HTTP” – it is NOT secure.
• Be careful purchasing sought-after products, especially during the holiday season. The risk of online purchase scams rises during the holidays because more people are making online purchases, and scammers offer the most popular products for the season at great prices.
• Beware of making quick purchases while scrolling through social media. Scammers have access to tools they need to learn about your buying behaviors, offering exactly what you want at enticingly low prices.
• Look for the BBB seal. BBB Accredited Businesses pledge to uphold the BBB Standards for Trust and to deal fairly with consumers. If a business displays a BBB seal, verify it by going to BBB.org.
• Use secure and traceable transactions and payment methods. According to BBB’s research, those who paid with a credit card were less likely to lose money. Be cautious when paying by digital wallet apps, prepaid money cards, or other non-traditional payment methods. Learn more about payment types and how to use each safely.
• Shipment tracking information can be faked. Look closely to make sure it is a legitimate business. Avoid clicking on the tracking link; go to the ‘shipper’s website and type in the code to see if it is real.
WE OFFER MEMBERS:
FREE YMCA360 – Digital Classes, anytime, anywhere: Fun for the whole family with options for Kids Activities, Youth Sports Skill Development, Yoga, Meditation, Cardio, Strength and Wellness Support
CONTINUING upgrades to our facilities and services to improve your member experience.
EXCITING group exercise classes as an added benefit to your membership with no additional charge, including all specialty fitness, Yoga and TRX® classes.
To address the impact that inflation has had on our operations and the need to provide competitive staff wages, we will be instituting a modest membership increase November 1st. This will help to ensure we can continue to provide high quality programs, services and amenities that you have come to expect from us.
Apply for our income-based financial assistance program. To apply, or if you have any questions about your rates, please stop in or call our Welcome Desk at 262-634-1994 and we will assist you.